Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tourist


Today I was a tourist. I went to the Aquarium of the Pacific this morning and spent a few hours wandering around before the school crowds hit. I love the water. I love the ocean. I could have stood for hours and watched the fish swim. It never ceases to amaze me how much color and life there is under the water. Galveston Bay is so brown and polluted that for years I did not realize that complete other world just waiting to be discovered. My favorite by far was the South Pacific coral tank. I felt as though I were back in the waters of Palolo Deep and I were seeing for the first time the vibrant colors and wonderous beauty of the reef. I can still remember the goosebumps, catching my breath, and thinking to myself: "How can anyone believe that this is all chance? How is it possible to not believe that God exists?" Coral is so beautiful, so necessary, and so easily destroyed.
Since I got to the Aquarium early enough I did not have to fight crowds at the touch ponds. Ordinarily I would have just skipped them, but how is that even possible when you are the only person there? So I touched the fish and the rays and all the other ocean critters that they had. Let me just say for the record- they are slimy and somewhat gross. I like to admire them, but not necessarily touch them.

After eating lunch with my cousin I walked over to the Queen Mary and did the "haunted tour." A little cheesy perhaps, but still fun. I then wantedered around the ship for a while before walking back towards the Long Beach lighthouse and my cousin's office. As I crossed the bridge connecting the two attractions I could not help but admire the view of the ocean. Water is so peaceful. The rest of the view of the city wasn't bad either. To one side was the dock with all the boats and machinary, and on another side lay the tall buildings of the city, with all its accompanying hustle and bustle. Yet one thing struck me. I walked several miles today, and did not see a single church. Even from the top of the bridge looking down over the city not one steeple was visible. I could not help but contrast that with France or Samoa. Churches dot the countryside in France. True, many of them may now lie unused and serve soley as another tourist attraction, but they are still there reminders of another time. In Samoa as well one could not walk half a mile without coming upon a church. They were the center of every village. Where are they in the United States?

2 comments:

no_one_knows said...

wow, it sounds like you are having loads of fun!! :) I sure hope that you are taking lots of pictures.. if you have time u should post some!! everyone here would loooove to see them...
XOXOXO
*cela*

Maiella said...

I have taken some pictures, but I don't have my camera cord so I'll have to wait until I get home. :(