Sunday, July 1, 2007

Dallas Trip

This weekend I drove up to Dallas with a group of friends to go to a wedding. The bride and groom were both college friends who graduated two years ago, so it was somewhat of a reunion as well. It is the third wedding I have been to this summer, and once again I was slightly wierded out seeing friends walk down the aisle. I must admit however that it was a beautiful wedding. They were married in the Cistercian Abby, so that was nice. They were both so relaxed and laid back, not stressed at all. It seemed like they were just enjoying the day. In fact, they didn't do the traditional "birdseed send-off;" opting instead to remain at the reception. We left slightly before midnight and they were still there talking to people. I thought that was really cool!

At the reception I ended up sitting next to this older gentleman and his wife, and over the course of the meal I learned about their life. I have never met someone who so firmly believes that "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Despite all the rough times they've had...destroyed home and business, forced relocation, etc he was genuinely happy and content and optimistic. I realized that I spend a lot of time complaining about things, when in fact I have an awful lot for which to be thankful. I want to be able to be like that, always taking everything in stride, but it doesn't happen overnight. Resignation begins with the small things.

2 comments:

Eric S. said...

Psh! You didn't mention the complete highlight of your trip! In case you are wondering WHICH highlight of the trip, since there were just so many that involved me, I am talking about the wonderful breakfast we had. Even in my amazingly popular blog, which has an estimated 3 readers, I was able to at least mention your visit. Needless to say, your withholding the information (most likely because you are embarrassed to discuss your association with me) has cut me deep. *sigh* It's okay! I am sure I will recover from this with time.

Maiella said...

You're right Eric. I am a horrible person. And I feel even more guilty because it's taken me this long to get back onto my blog and notice my gross oversight. *oops*

And now for the correction: seeing Eric and David is always a treat and was indeed one of the highlights of my Dallas trip. Hopefully it won't take nine months for us to get together again. :)