Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekends

During the week I don't do much besides swim, work, drive, and sleep. My weekends however, look like they will be a lot more fun. Not having homework problems to do or tests for which to study makes it so much easier to relax and just do whatever. Friday night I went to an Astros game with a group of Rice friends. Things are really going to be different after Biggio retires at the end of this year. I remember going to games with my dad and older brother when I was in first and second grade...watching Biggio and Bagwell play. At one point I had a ball signed by all the Astros. I have no clue where it is now.

Saturday morning was spent running errands, which did include a stop at Borders. Books and shoes are my weaknesses. I already have to buy (or build) another bookshelf for my room. I spent the rest of the day playing in a hat tournament. I seriously almost died. It had to have been one of the hottest days of the summer, and with no cloud coverage for most of the day. I felt as though I were running with an elephant on my chest. Add to that the fact that I've started swimming in place of running and I am actually somewhat sore right now. It was so much fun though. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do about ultimate. I know that I won't be joining a club team this year, but I really do enjoy playing. The problem is that it's much more fun when you're actually in shape and in practice so I'll have to find a way to make that work. After the games were over I stopped by a friend's apartment to say hi. I didn't plan on staying for long because I was quite nasty from the day. I didn't think much about it cuz the guy is practically my older brother. I've known him since I was 3 1/2, and so I was just planning to chill with his wife and his younger sister who was also hanging out at his place. Well, they didn't bother to tell me that it also happened to be poker night...yeah they just left that little detail out until a couple guys showed up at the door. Of course at this point they wouldn't let me leave because they wanted another player for the game. I was not ok with this. It's pretty bad when you know that you don't smell too good. To make a long story short I ended up borrowing some clothes and showering there so that I could stay and learn how to play Texas Hold'em. It was actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be, and I probably could have placed higher than third if I hadn't gotten impatient at around midnight and decided I just wanted to go home.

Today was also jam-packed. I got to church early because a friend and I wanted to try to join the choir. I've wanted to join for the past four years, but because of the car situation I haven't actually done so. As of this morning however I am now a member of the Annunciation choir. It's "off-season" now so we're just singing hymns, but come Advent we should be starting back up with the Propers. I think we're also going to try to get some more enthusiasm going for Polyphony. After Mass a large group of us went out to breakfast. There is no parish hall, which makes it somewhat difficult to meet a lot of people at church, but this breakfast group is a ton of fun. I went last year once, but now that I have a car I should be going much more regularly. It's a whole mixture of people- from a retired history professor to little kids. After breakfast I went to a semi-housewarming party and re-watched the second Borne movie. Now I have to go see the third one. The remainder of the afternoon was dedicated to a nice long nap before heading over to another friend's house for some fresh grilled fish which were the product a deep sea fishing expedition yesterday. And now, I am ready for bed. I really don't want to go to work tomorrow, and I definitely don't want to get up at 5:15 to swim in the morning. Why am I doing this to myself?

1 comment:

bakerstreetrider said...

You got into choir? Congratulations!