Monday, December 31, 2007

Trash

Do you ever stop to think about the amount of trash that you generate in a single day? Or week? Or year? After living in Samoa for a semester and seeing the negative impacts of trash build-ups I have tried to become a more conscientious recycler. But even recycling does not completely eliminate waste, it just extends it's life cycle. There is a real problem with the way things are packaged today. It's a plastic overload. Sure it's convenient and cheaper in the short run but plastic does not biodegrade so we'll be living with it for a long time to come.

Two interesting stories I read recently. One is about the 3.5 million tons of trash floating around in the dead zone in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The second is about a man who saved every single piece of trash he accumulated for a whole year. Disgusting yeah? I agree. But it does make you think about your own lifestyle and things you can do to minimize your own "trash footprint."



1 comment:

Sylvia said...

Hey Maiella! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I have been thinking about this trash thing a lot lately. I'm trying to work to throw less away, but it seems paper trash is EVERYWHERE. I've brought some real utensils to work now, so at least I'm not throwing away plastic, but like you say with all the packaging, it's really a drop in the bucket . . .